At Townley we are supporting the Asthma Friendly Schools Initiative
- Asthma is the most common long-term medical conditions in children and young people (CYP) in the UK.
- Approximately 1 in 11 CYP living with asthma.
- Highest prevalence of emergency admissions and death rates for childhood asthma in Europe.
- NHS England has published National Bundle of Care for CYP with Asthma. There are many standards to achieve across health, education, public health, housing and local authority. One area is around Asthma Friendly Schools and education around air quality.
- Asthma Friendly Schools (ASF) is an initiative which would aim to set out a clear, effective partnership between health, education and local authorities for managing CYP with asthma in primary and secondary schools in Cambridgeshire & Peterborough.
- To reduce avoidable harm to CYP from asthma and improve quality of life
- To reduce asthma related school absences
- To promote good asthma management for CYP
- To increase awareness of asthma and provide education to everyone who comes in to contact with CYP with asthma.
- To work towards making all schools across Cambridgeshire & Peterborough Asthma Friendly
Asthma Friendly Schools Standards
- Have an asthma register of all pupils with asthma
- Have an up-to-date asthma policy
- Have an emergency kit and procedure
- For every CYP with asthma to have a personalised asthma action plan (PAAP) and an inhaler and spacer in school
- For every school to have an asthma champion and asthma lead
- Whole school training in management of asthma and the importance of air quality.